Happy Birthday Barack Obama!
Barack Hussein Obama II was born August 4, 1961. He is the 44th and current President of the United States, and the first African American to hold the office. Apart from politics, policies, and running the US, he is human too, so here are some other interesting facts about him.
1. His name means “one who is blessed” in Swahili.
2. His favourite meal is wife, Michelle’s shrimp linguini, yum yum!
3. His favourite artists include the Rolling Stones, Jay Z and Stevie Wonder.
4. Obama’s favorite TV shows are Homeland and The Wire.
5. He would have been an architect if politics hadn’t worked out.
6. He can speak Indonesian and some Spanish.
7. Obama won Best Spoken Word Album Grammy Awards for abridged audiobook versions of Dreams from My Father in February 2006 and for The Audacity of Hope in February 2008. He beat Bill Clinton who was seeking his third Grammy with Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World, a call to public service.
8. He doesn’t drink coffee and rarely drinks alcohol.
9. Obama’s favorite sport is basketball. With his 6’1 ½ height; it adds to his advantage on the basketball court.
10. He dislikes it when youngsters wear sagging trousers which reveal their underwear. During an interview on MTV, Obama said laws that prohibit sagging trousers (yes, they did exist) are “a waste of time … Having said that, brothers should pull up their pants. You are walking by your mother, your grandmother, your underwear is showing. What’s wrong with that? Come on. Some people might not want to see your underwear. I’m one of them.”
11. He owns a set of red boxing gloves autographed by Muhammad Ali
12. Obama once said the three men he admired the most were Mahatma Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr.
Obama is 54 years old today.