Bean Mélange is a medley of colourful beans and tropical vegetables. This recipe is my favourite with tilapia fish and can be served as a main low-fat by broiling it in the oven or carefully grilling the fillets.
Tilapia is a versatile type of white fish. It is a mild, low-fat and low in calories. For those that do not normally like fish, tilapia’s mild flavour may help you change your mind. This fish fits well into many recipes and takes on the flavour of other ingredients.
The beans and vegetables used are a good source of vitamin B, potassium, iron, carotenes, vitamin A and fibre with the added bonus of adding lots of complex carbohydrates, little fat and no cholesterol.
PREP: 2 HRS
2 full cups 4 different kinds of uncooked beans (you can use more if you wish)
6 tilapia fillets, each about 150g
2 large finely shredded green bell peppers
1 finely shredded red onions
2 carrots sliced thin
1 large carrot, chopped
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. thyme
1 tsp. sea salt
Pepper to taste
1 large tomato, chopped
3 red pepper, chopped
½ cup assorted herbs, dry or fresh
3/4 tsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
Low in fat
Low in calories
High in omega – 3
High in carotenes
High in vitamin-A
High in Vitamin-E
High in fibre
High in iron
High in potassium
High in calcium
Very high in protein
¼ cups olive oil
1 tbsp. mint leaves
2 tsp. lime juice
¼ tsp. sea salt
Pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, mint leaves, lime juice, onion, sea salt, and pepper. Add the tilapia and toss to coat.
- Let marinate for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roller boil all the beans at varying temperature. Remove from heat and stir in the herbs and chopped tomatoes.
- Heat grill to high. Grill the tilapia on an oiled grate until cooked through, 5-10 minutes per side.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat. Add the ginger and sauté, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the all of the vegetables and cook until just starting to wilt. Stir well and cook just until vegetables are wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the beans and everything else, and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper, and toss thoroughly.
- Serve with the bean mélange on a bed of sautéed vegetables.
Recipe by Epicurean House Kitchen ®
Photograph by Bunmi Adeleye