Home Latest Fourteen Confirmed Dead In Latest Boko-Haram Attacks

Fourteen Confirmed Dead In Latest Boko-Haram Attacks

265
0
SHARE

Fourteen people have been confirmed dead, in the latest suicide bomb attack which occured on Sunday evening in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.

Three bombers, all of them women, detonated their explosives near the sprawling Muna Garage camp on the outskirts of Maiduguri.

The blasts came after warnings of a build-up of jihadist fighters outside the strategic city, which has been the epicentre in the eight years of Islamist violence.

Ahmed Satomi, from the Borno state emergency management agency, told newsmen that the death toll had risen since Sunday evening.

“So far, we have 14 people killed and 18 injured in the triple suicide bombings last night,” he said.

But he said the Muna Garage site, which in the last 18 months has developed from an informal settlement into a vast camp for internally displaced persons (IDPs), was “vulnerable”.

“So far this year we have recorded 13 suicide attacks in the area, including that of yesterday. I think we need to revise the security situation in the area,” he added.

“We need to employ modern surveillance strategies which will enable us to identify potential attackers before they strike”.

The Boko Haram conflict, which began in 2009, has so far killed at least 20,000 people and displaced more than 2.6 million.

There are currently about 1.7 million IDPs in Borno and the neighbouring states of Adamawa and Yobe staying in camps or with distant relatives or friends, according to UN figures.

Facebook Comments

comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.