Locust beans is referred to as Iru by the Yorubas and known as Ogiri by the Igbos, and Dawadawa by the Hausas.
It is a local ingredient used to cook different stew and soup especially Ewedu, Egusi, vegetables and so on. It contains tannin and astringent substances found in many plants
Most people do not like locust beans because of its unpleasant smell.
However, there are the various health benefits of locust beans you should know:
One of such is that it helps to fuel the brain, kidney, heart muscles, the central nervous system.
It also contains nutrients like protein which build and repair tissues in the body and it is rich in fat and calcium.
More benefits of locust beans include:
1. It is a good treatment for high blood pressure (HBP), this is a serious condition when the pressure of blood pumped through the walls of the blood vessels, is consistently too high.
2. Locust beans is also good for patient suffering from stroke, a stroke is a disruption of oxygenated blood to the brain. It is usually associated with cholesterol and high blood pressure.
One of the most convenient ways to treat the sickness is to consume locust beans regularly.
3. Regular consumption of locust beans can control cholesterol, which causes blockage of blood vessels and can lead to heart-related diseases.
4. It helps to give good eyesight to people who have eye problems such as myopia, cataract, minus eyes, glaucoma and the rest because it also contains a natural nutrient that can maintain eye health.
5. Locust beans contain, a nutrient called tannin and the substance works for diarrhoea. Thus it serves as a local medicine for the treatment of diarrhoea.
This is a condition where a person excretes in liquid form repeatedly.
Read also: Reasons you are not sleeping better at night