We have all experienced mishaps in the kitchen, and we all have these moments when things go wrong.
Especially when we want to make that delicious delicacy.
Don’t panic, here are some useful tricks and suggestions to overcome some of the most common problems we have while cooking.
1. Removing charred smell from rice, if it is burned.You can take that taste out of your rice easily by using a piece of bread.
Just lay a piece of bread on the rice (in a fresh pan or bowl) cover it for a few minutes
Be sure not to scrape the bottom of the pan, the bread will soak up the burnt smell and taste, your rice will be fresh again.
2. If your food is getting burnt at the bottom of the pot, maybe you chatted too long and forgot you had food on the gas.
Don’t stir the food as this will mix any burnt piece into the rest of the food and contaminate it all.
Plunge the bottom of the pan into cold water and cool it down, and prevent further cooking.
Remove the unburnt part and put into a clean pan, being very careful not to include any burnt bits.
Add a little more liquid and continue cooking.
3. If you accidentally over salt a dish while it’s still cooking, drop in a peeled potato or yam.
Potatoes need salt in cooking to enhance the flavour, so when you add them to an over-salted fish they sop up the excess.
This dilutes the taste in each serving, and you can remove them after they are cooked.
4. Defrosting meat easily, when defrosting meat from the fridge pour vinegar over it.
It reduces the freezing temperature of the water in the meat.
5. How to avoid egg cracking whilst cooking, you can prevent this by using one of the following methods
* Add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water before boiling, this also helps cut down messing up the pan
* Wrapping each egg in aluminum foil before boiling, that way if they crack you will be left with less mess
* You can also prevent this by adding salt into the water (teaspoon) it will keep your eggs from cracking
6. Shedding tears while slicing onion, you can use one these simple tips
* Chew bread or gum whole slicing, many people report that chewing especially gum, helps avoid tears when cutting onions.
The theory is that having something in your mouth encourages you to breathe through your mouth, sticking in the droplets before they hit your eyes.
* If you have a gas, light the burner, the gas released by the onion is drawn into the flames
If you don’t have a gas, use a candle be careful not to burn yourself
* You can also try cutting it under the water, either under a running tap or in a sink full of water.
Before the sulfur compounds get to you, the water will dissolve it
7. If your aluminum pots and pans are looking a bit dull, just boil a few apple fillings in each.
This will add a great scent to your home while brightening your pots and pans at the same time.
8. Having trouble opening a new jar of jam, pour boiling water over the lid and it will open easily.
Only use this method as last resort, as boiling water could break the glass of the jar.